Saturday 11 July 2015

Introduction

My name is Lizzie Martin and I am a third year occupational therapy student. I have created this blog to explore an area I am very passionate about, occupations for individuals at the end of life. I lost my brother, Paul, to cancer on 26 September last year and saw firsthand how his occupational engagement and participation were affected. My blog will discuss the themes I found to be most obvious during the last three months of Paul’s life and will include excerpts from texts I received from him and personal communication with practicing occupational therapists. Paul was incredibly brave and it was a privilege to see how he coped with his illness and approaching death. I am very proud to be able to share his occupational journey.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Lizzie, glad to see your blog is up and running. I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this should be compulsory reading for anyone involved in palliative care. It highlights wonderfully how it must be holistic and individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew. You must see many wonderful examples of holistic and individual care at the hospice. I'd love to come and see it in action one day.

      Delete
  3. I think this is incredibly insightful and a unique position to be in to be able to grasp understanding from both personal and professional angles. It is also very brave to write about such a difficult experience, and helpful to others to use first hand experience to explain situations from the patient's perspective. I think it will be a frank reminder to some professionals that everyone does indeed still have wishes that must always be respected, even to the very end. Thanks lizzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very lucky to spend so much time with Paul and see which occupations he prioritized. It was lovely to be able to do this as a sister but it has also given me great insight which hopefully I can use in practice in the future.

      Delete
  4. Wow Lizzie. That all made for a moving and thoughtful read, thank you for sharing. You will make a wonderful OT, on account of you being such an inspirational and brave woman. Not everyone is as lucky as you to have such a close and loving family and I know once qualified you will prove invaluable for many, many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Candice. Witnessing Paul's journey will definitely help me to be a better occupational therapist. I learnt lots from him and I know that would have made him very proud.

      Delete
  5. Many thanks for this personal testimony - powerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Also, thank you for sharing on your blog. The more people who appreciate the importance of palliative care the better!

      Delete